Monday, November 10, 2008

Mold Report

I got the mold report today. There are several species of toxic mold found in the wall. One of the molds is often found the the well know toxic black mold called stachybotrus. A couple of the molds plus the bacteria found in the wall are consistant with very bad water damage. I think this is only the tip of the moldy iceberg. My guess is that stachy is also in the walls. The plan is to move.

Here is a copy of the report:

Microscope:

Chaetomium murorum
Penicillium sp./Aspergillus sp.

Cultured

Aspergillus ustus
Chaetomium murorum
Penicillium aurantiogriseum
Penicillium brevicompactum
Penicillium sp.
Rhizopus stolonifer
Actinomycetes

General Comments and Health Effects

Our analysis of the above tapelift sample found evidence of mold infestation in the bedroom sampled in this unit. All molds require at least an elevated level of relative humidity to germinate and grow indoors and these are no exception. From the chain of custody I can see that you have identified one source of moisture, a water intrusion under the window. It is crucial for the success of long-term mold eradication that the source of the moisture supporting these colonies is promptly and permanently fixed. Without first addressing the underlying moisture issues in this unit, the molds will simply keep coming back each time the moisture returns. Due to the presence of several molds that may pose a health risk (see below) I'd strongly urge you to contact a professional to investigate and possibly remediate this site. Cleaning it up yourself may further expose you to these potentially harmful fungi.

Many of the molds found in your bedroom have the potential to adversely affect your health. In particular, the four species of Penicillium and Aspergillus found in this sample can produce huge numbers of dry spores which are easily lofted into the air and are slow to settle. Spores from any species of Aspergillus/Penicillium should therefore be presumed allergenic. In addition, Penicillium aurantiogriseum makes the mycotoxin auranthine which is reported to be a kidney toxin; I find little in the literature on this, but it could conceivably be important. The mold also makes several other compounds which may be of concern but which are little studied. Whatever its toxicity, this mold and close relatives all produce dreadful odors in culture, essence of dumpster and garbage.

Lastly, the Actinomycetes found in this unit are not molds at all, but filamentous bacteria. They produce huge numbers of really minute dry spores which are probably allergenic, since their small size would allow them to penetrate respiratory passages efficiently. Actinomycetes typically grow in wet sites and are part of the wet wall syndrome. These bacteria are typically ignored in mold reports - but they should not be. Workers in Finland have reported that some Actinomycete spores, unlike most toxic mold spores, may actually trigger inflammatory responses in the lungs.

_______________________________

Given that my body can't process mold toxins in general, the presence of toxic mold is great cause for alarm. I'm glad to have this report and extremely grateful for the person who sent me the kit to get the mold analyzed.

I just wish my doctor had listened to me back in April when I first brought this up. I may have irreversible neurogical and immune system damage.

2 comments:

  1. Good grief, this is awful. I am so glad you will be able to move. It is hopeful that your health will improve with a move.
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'm glad you are getting out of that house and am so sorry for the health effects you have been suffering.

    Hope you will keep us posted as to how the move impacts your heatlth...hopefully with great improvement.

    I wonder how often this is the cause of systemic chronic illness.

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete